The Viking Choirs
The Viking Choir program is an award-winning, performance-based opportunity for students interested in improving their knowledge about music and their confidence in singing. All curricular choirs meet during the school day; there are no after-school rehearsals. Choir students perform in three school concerts a year in addition to the TPSMEA or TAPPS Concert & Sight-Reading competition held in the spring. Private voice instructors are on campus once a week to give in-class private voice lessons to choir students who sign up at the beginning of the year.
- Varsity Mixed Choir – (for fine art or elective credit; by audition only) A mixed choir made up of self-motivated students who work on challenging music. Varsity students are required to submit auditions for the TPSMEA All-State Choir and participate in the TPSMEA or TAPPS Solo & Ensemble contest. Members are highly encouraged to audition for the TMEA All-State Choir.Prerequisite: minimum 1 year choir, band, or orchestra class.
- Junior Varsity Choir – (for fine art or elective credit; by audition only) A mixed choir that works on advancement in vocal ability, sight-reading, and choral methods. Jr. Varsity students are required to participate in the TPSMEA or TAPPS Solo & Ensemble contest.Prerequisite: minimum 1 year choir, band, or orchestra class.
- Women’s Choir – (for fine art or elective credit; interview recommended) A treble choir that works on fundamental female vocal techniques and treble choir repertoire from various genres.Prerequisite: none.
- Men’s Choir – A tenor-bass choir that works on fundamental male vocal techniques and tenor-bass choir repertoire from various genres.Prerequisite: none.
- Nolan 12 A Capella Choir – (extra-curricular, by audition only) An elite chamber choir that rehearses after school on Wednesdays to perform very challenging, a cappella repertoire. In addition to contests and school concerts, Nolan 12 performs at various events throughout the year including middle school tours, Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement. Auditions for this choir are held in late August or early September.
- Blue Voltage Show Choir – (extra-curricular, by audition only) An energetic team of musicians that rehearse after school on Mondays to perform popular music and show tunes. In addition to contests and school concerts, Blue Voltage performs at various events throughout the year. Previous experience with voice/dance preferred. Auditions for this choir are usually held in May.